Thursday, November 09, 2006

Diff is for difficult.....

Day 5 - 09/11/2006

Today had a late start, again. I was planning on putting in the engine but lack of communication between me and pal meant I hadn't actually said to him if it was on or not. So a pair of hands down I couldn't really start the engine.

Sliding under the car I reacquainted myself with

how much progress I had made with the diff - none. It was sitting on the jack waiting for the lower bolts to be put in. These lined up and went in a dream. Now for those pesky spacer washers - very awkward, they are just so tiny and keep falling all over the place - TOP TIP - put grease on each face of the washers so they stick

together (even when dropped) push into place and dab a large blob of grease under them - hey presto the washers stay in place even as you belt the top bolt to get it in! With the lower mounts and spacers in I tried to thread the top bolt through - not a chance (see pics) looks 4-5mm out. I rang the factory:

1. Check the bolt is straight 2. Whack it harder 3. Run a 1/2in drill bit through the diff holes 4. Try from the other side 5. Put a chamfer on the end of the bolt.
Results:
1. My bolt is bent - on the head are some markings so I worked out which way they faced when the bolt had least resistance 2. I might have been a little soft 3. I just took off the casting lines inside for a slightly looser fit 4. Didn't want to as very near the fuel pump and you might whack it - I used a large piece of wood so I was no danger of doing so 5. No need already had it in!!

No sooner than it was in I realised my fatal error - No end washer!! All that for nothing, but it was easier the second time and the grease trick held the washers in place and I didn't even have to touch them!

With a smile of achievement on my face I looked to the propshaft as the next task - but almost simultaneously both of my rechargable light sources dimmed and went out- typical. In the remaining natural light I found the prop bolts (which are not blue as manual states) and removed the masking tape from the front - TOP TIP - don't leave masking tape on for longer than 2 days unless you enjoy spending hours cleaning off residue and tiny bits of tape - it's less time consuming to remove it now then re-apply it.

Early start tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home