Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Postman brings gifts....

Day 4 - 07/11/2006

Took the cat to vet to have his life changed (not happy) so, had a late start on the car. It was ok as I needed to wait for the postie anyway. As he was delivering the cheese wedge and two correct size bolts for the lower diff mounts. They arrived at 11.30 (not bad these days..).

I started with the cheese wedge - A minor thing but the top rivet hole is exactly in line with clutch return spring - the bottom two had plenty of clearance. I decided before fixing it down I would thread the assembly through it and get all together to ensure I drilled and fixed it in the right place. All went fine - I may have to adjust the position of the wheel by rotating it in the splines as it's hard to tell where dead ahead is with out the wheels or disks on- we'll see. I then sealed the cheese wedge in - it doesn't look that pretty but it's not so bad without the flash on it - it's not silicone either it's a proper rubber stuff about 25 times stronger and should last 30 years instead of 7-8.

I then sat in the car for ten minutes twiddling the wheel...brmm brmm. After that I double checked my fitment of the rack and everything else I had done and found the lower grommet wasn't exactly sealing against the lower shaft - does yours look like this (see pic) or do I have the wrong grommet - please let me know! (will edit once I know the truth).

Moved on to the Diff , got the top mount in no probs - used the jack - the lower mounts no such luck, even though they thread into the diff fine and fit the bushes they just don't line up once in place. After a call to James the workshop confirmed (contrary to the manual) get the bottom ones in and spaced then knock in the top bolt with a soft hammer. Had another quick go on my own, but decided to wait for some help.

End of day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home